We had an appointment for the boys to see the pediatrician for their Kindergarten checkups. Being the all-knowing mommy that I am, I decided to not tell the kids anything at all about the appointment. I called them home from friends houses at 1:00 and bathed them and slathered them in baby lotion (totally off topic, but someone needs to tell me when the cut off for dowsing 5 year old boys in baby lotion...think I'm approching) and picked out two matching without being too matchy (have yourself a set of twins and you'll know what I mean).
Frantic Adam: "MOM! You STILL haven't told us WHERE we are going?"
Cool as a cucumber Mom: "Don't worry about it muffin. Get in the car super fast and I'll let you play your Nintendo DS."
We left the house and started the trek northward to see Dr. Valentine.
Luke: "Really Mom, we past the store. Where are we going?"
Mom: "You will love it! They have suckers and sometimes stickers. It's so much fun! Just don't look up from the video game till the car stops please."
They did figure out that we were going to the doctor but I had a backup plan to say it was only for Luke's cough. We got in and got them weighed, measured, blood pressured, speach test, eye test. The appointment went fantastically. Dr. Valentine is heaven sent. Then we were told to wait in the waiting room again for 'immunizations' that must be some code word that kids don't catch on to. My boys went out and checked on the fish and sat to play DS when Adam's name was called to go back to the torture chamber. I told Luke to stay put and babysit the fishies. Once inside the torture chamber Adam's angelic little face looked up and said, "what are we doing in here Mommy?" With a pit in my stomach I didn't answer, just helped the nurse tackle him and inject four shots into his toothpick sized legs while he screamed. But the nurse let him pick out some really cool star shaped sunglasses to wear out.
Back out in the waiting room Luke was nervously pacing and then Adam came out the door with four band aids, bawling hysterically while wearing ridiculous star sunglasses. Poor Luke took one look at me and then at Adam not really sure what to make of the situation. Keep in mind the room is full of kids awaiting a similar fate. I pick up Luke while he still hasn't caught on and I hear Adam yelling across the room "LUKE!! DO NOT GO IN THERE!! THEY ARE GOING TO SHOOT YOU!"
It was stressful for all involved and I suspect traumatic for all the other children in the waiting room. But I have the sweetest little scene of my boys walking out of the office bickering over who got Scooby Doo band aids and who got Spiderman all with tear streaked faces wearing star shaped sunglasses.
Luke: "Mom, you really tricked us about the doctor didn't you?"
Mom: "Yea, I got you good."
Thursday, May 21, 2009
My boys got shot(s)
Posted by Laurie at Thursday, May 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Oh my goodness. Thanks for the good morning laugh. Sorry for the boys but still a funny story.
OK I tricked my kids when we were going to Disneyland - that was fun. But the doctor - you are truly cruel (or really smart; the jury is still out).
FOUR shots?? I think Parker only had to get one, maybe two. I told him before we even got to the doctor that if he was good, we could go to Wawa after the appointment. He looked at me and said, "I know what that means! It means I have to get a shot." Busted!
You are mean!! BTW- I still lather all my kids in lotion!!!
That is so funny! Tramatic for all but funny.
Awe, at least they look out for each other! Thanks for making me laugh!! Sorry about the No Doubt concert. Hope you have fun at the one tonight!!
Poor little dears... shots are the worst. Remember when I took rocks in my pockets to throw at Dr. Wetzel when I was little? I should pass that tip on to the boys!! Thanks for the laugh :)
LOL! Your boys have the same sense of humor that you have! I need you to give me tips on how to be a fun mom!
Post a Comment