CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Happy Valley Harvest

Growing up in Salt Lake, I always had this snobbish view of Utah County. We thought it was oddly religious and a hick town. It was a little bit hard for me when I moved to Lehi because I felt like a big hypocrite. But after living there for almost five years, I realized I really liked it.
Now we have moved even further into Happy Valley to a quaint little town called Pleasant Grove. I have discovered why they call it Happy Valley. It is so much fun living here! We live on a quiet street and the most frequent traffic we get is kids on bikes or farmers on tractors. One such farmer knocked on my door last Sunday and had me grab a bag and come outside to his tractor to pick out my weekly produce. I got corn on the cob and tomatoes....for free! He just gave it to me!
Last night we walked over to the school for the annual PTA carnival. The kids had a blast and we got to meet lots of neighbors and ran into old friends. The kids got to dunk Eric at the dunking booth and got to eat their own weight in sweets.
In my yard I have lots of fruit trees and a strawberry patch. We've had apple crisp and loads of fresh strawberries. And the sweet farmer who owns the land across the street allows everyone to have a community garden on his property. So in our section we have corn, pumpkins, sweet tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, carrots, cabbage, zucchini, squash, butternut squash, peas, beans, broccoli and probably even more that I haven't gotten to yet. I have found that I am completely in my element digging in the dirt. I was born to live on a farm! Who knew? Here are some of my harvest pictures.




7 comments:

Debbie Cluff said...

That is amazing... when are we coming over for dinner. JK

Anonymous said...

How Fun!
I want to see your new house, you need to post some pics and we need to get together.
I am open all this week, let me know when you want to get together.

Kelly said...

FUN!!! I was at the Discovery Park last week and was thinking of you the whole time. I want to come over and see! LOVE the whole garden/farm stuff. Fruit trees? We should get canning! Can't wait to see you Friday. I miss ya!!

The Christensen Family said...

What?! How amazing! I love PG! I want a garden... Guess I need to have a house first... I need details on where exactly you are at. Let's catch up?

Ken, Alicia, Abby, and Ethan Lund said...

Wish I could grow a garden. Cactus anyone?

Paige said...

where are the overalls?

NatRat said...

Yummy...I want a garden. Sounds like it is great place to live, good ole PG.