On our way home from the cemetery visiting Eric's mom's grave, we stopped and got some burgers for the kids. Half way home I turned around to see Luke. He was dead asleep, peed his pants, red Popsicle all over his face, hamburger laying in his urine-drenched pants and his mouth half open revealing half chewed burger in his mouth. I am the Mother of the Year. Eric wanted to take a picture but I begged him not to. Believe me, I don't need a photo to remind me how white trash we're becoming.
I've been a little down this week. I don't even know if it has anything to do with Mother's Day at all. I was in tears at swimming lessons because Luke wet his pants for the 326th time of the day. Most days I want to tear my hair out at the very thought of having to prepare food 3 times a day for kids who "don't like that". The amount of dirty laundry, the syrup stuck to the kitchen chairs, the broken crayons all over the house, the petrified chicken nuggets under the car seats, the loss of my flat tummy, the runny noses, the noise -oh the noise.... most days it doesn't seem worth it. How nice would it be to actually take a shower in the morning, put on dry-clean-only clothes and heels, go to an office and get a paycheck!?!?
But then there are those little moments.... when I carry Adam all wrapped up in a towel after a shower (and the boy smell is gone), when Cameron plays so well with the boys and gives them piggyback rides, when Luke tells me I look pretty. I realize that I'm shaping these little lives for better or for worse. What's better than that? Or maybe the question should be what's scarier than that?
I am not one of those people who hates Mother's Day. I like opportunities for my family to worship me. I like taking a day to tell all the women in my life how much I appreciate them.
I've been a little down this week. I don't even know if it has anything to do with Mother's Day at all. I was in tears at swimming lessons because Luke wet his pants for the 326th time of the day. Most days I want to tear my hair out at the very thought of having to prepare food 3 times a day for kids who "don't like that". The amount of dirty laundry, the syrup stuck to the kitchen chairs, the broken crayons all over the house, the petrified chicken nuggets under the car seats, the loss of my flat tummy, the runny noses, the noise -oh the noise.... most days it doesn't seem worth it. How nice would it be to actually take a shower in the morning, put on dry-clean-only clothes and heels, go to an office and get a paycheck!?!?
But then there are those little moments.... when I carry Adam all wrapped up in a towel after a shower (and the boy smell is gone), when Cameron plays so well with the boys and gives them piggyback rides, when Luke tells me I look pretty. I realize that I'm shaping these little lives for better or for worse. What's better than that? Or maybe the question should be what's scarier than that?
I am not one of those people who hates Mother's Day. I like opportunities for my family to worship me. I like taking a day to tell all the women in my life how much I appreciate them.
Here's to good women -
May we know them,
May we be them,
May we raise them!

12 comments:
I love this post and I love that saying at the end. I can relate to your feelings on motherhood, but yes its those precious moments like getting your kids out of the bath that make it all worth it! From one twin mommy to another...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!
You are such a good Mom! Remember that there has to be opposition in ALL things or else we wouldn't realize the good if we haven't tasted the bitter.
Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
I think that you are a great Mom. Your stories are so great and you will look back one day and laugh at everything! Happy Mother's Day!
That is the most perfectly written post about Mother's Day that I have ever read! You are so awesome. I love your honesty, your realness (yes, I'm making up words now) and your willingness to admit that sometimes being a mom really sucks...even, and sometimes especially, on Mother's Day! Sorry about all the pee :)
You have such a way with words...you should have wrote a book, wait your still young, you still can.
You hit it right on the T...there are always those moments that you wouldn't give it up for anything.
And you are not white trash mom, your just like me, some things are not worth worrying about. I hope you had a fabulous day, you cute thing!
Bless you for all you do! I'm right there with ya. Good thing we can blog about it to get it out. ;) Happy Mother's Day! I hope you got pampered because you deserve it, girl!
You are a wonderful mother! and best of all you put it all out there for us to read and sympathize with you! it helps remind me that i am not alone! so thank you for all of your stories, events, and crazy moments! Hope your day was full of pampering~you deserve it!
Laurie,
I have been stalking your blog for awhile. Your kids are adorable. We have lots of people in common...Paige and Emily.
Anyway, I wanted to tell you that sometimes I want to curl up and watch re-runs of Family Ties. I think all moms are alike and feel like white trash every once and awhile.
p.s. I hate syrup too!
Haha...kids can make you feel a lot more white trash just by being kids! There are times I look at my boys at the end of the day...or sometimes right in the middle..and think "how in the world did you get so dirty and scary looking?" I think as mothers we are allowed to enjoy the sweet times with our kids..simply so we can get through all the "hamburger-in-mouth-asleep" times and just keep going!
And that a wrap...All summed up in your awesome post! Could not have said it better myself, No really, I can not articulate things like you....Amazing! Love your thoughts!!
why is it that one bad day cancels out a dozen good. i've had a real mix lately -- having a real handle on this mothering gig only to have it come crashing down. i love your honesty, don't let it get to you, it's the same everywhere!
You are such a great writer! You always put things so well, I love it!
Post a Comment