I have been debating whether or not to post something on my blog about Shane. He is the son of my dad's girlfriend (basically my step-brother). He is the coolest guy and I had the opportunity to spend time with him and his wife and daughter over the last several years at holidays and family functions. Honestly I didn't realize how much of a celebrity he is in the skiing industry. I just know him as being incredibly warm and fun and a great family guy who adores his wife, Sherry, and daughter, Ayla.
Last week Shane was in Italy filming for a big mountain ski production when he experienced equipment malfunctions and was tragically killed. I feel honored to have known him. My heart is aching for Sherry, Ayla and Glenn right now. Nothing can really prepare you for something like this.
The cool thing about him being such a big shot is that there is tons of video footage out there and photos. He has really left a legacy behind. If you have a chance to check out this website, you should.
http://www.shanemcconkey.org/
It's amazing to see how many lives he's touched. Just Google his name and check out all the youtube stuff.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
shane mcconkey
Posted by Laurie at Thursday, April 02, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Laurie my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time of loss. What an amazing man.
Laur - I am so sorry to hear about your family's loss, it's never easy to go through when someone passes away. I am sorry!
Laur, I'm so glad you posted this. Like you said, my heart also aches for Sherry, Ayla and Glenn. I truly (as I believe we all do) feel that Shane was a wonderful part of our family. How amazing though, to see just how many people he touched, whether they actually knew him or not. He is very loved and will always be remembered.
Seriously Laurie, I think that is one of the saddest stories. Good luck on Sunday, I am sure it will be an emotional day.
That is my favorite picture on that site... it's so cute and breaks my heart.
Eager to hear how your weekend went... I'll call you.
Oh no! What a beautiful post about him.
Wow, I am so sorry Laur. I was just talking about him with my brother like a week and 1/2 ago and my heart just sunk when he told me the story (my bro was a big fan). And now to know that you were close to him, makes me even more sad. I am sorry:(
I saw that he passed and I was so sad! I had no idea he was that close to you. He was amazing. My favorite skier. Rest in peace.
"Oh, there's somethin' bout McConkey.."
Post a Comment