CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Home

My grandma Mickey passed away yesterday. I feel like anything I say on this blog wouldn't do justice to describe just how much I love her and how wonderful she is. Because both my parents worked, I spent every single day at Grandma and Grandpa's house from the time I was born till I was in the first grade. Their house was more of a home than anywhere else I've ever lived. Tucked away on a private lane, literally over the river and through the woods.
My grandma always tried to make an artist out of me. That never did pan out but she was able to teach me a love of poetry. For lack of anything else to say, I want to share this poem that reminds me of Grandma Mickey.

Home
by Edgar A. Guest

It takes a heap o' livin' in a house t' make it home,
A heap o' sun an' shadder, an' ye sometimes have t' roam
Afore ye really 'preciate the things ye lef' behind,
An' hunger fer 'em somehow, with 'em allus on yer mind.
It don't make any differunce how rich ye get t' be,
How much yer chairs an' tables cost, how great yer luxury;
It ain't home t' ye, though it be the palace of a king,
Until somehow yer soul is sort o' wrapped round everything.

Home ain't a place that gold can buy or get up in a minute;
Afore it's home there's got t' be a heap o' livin' in it;
Within the walls there's got t' be some babies born, and then
Right there ye've got t' bring 'em up t' women good, an' men;
And gradjerly as time goes on, ye find ye wouldn't part
With anything they ever used—they've grown into yer heart:
The old high chairs, the playthings, too, the little shoes they wore
Ye hoard; an' if ye could ye'd keep the thumb-marks on the door.

Ye've got t' weep t' make it home, ye've got t' sit an' sigh
An' watch beside a loved one's bed, an' know that Death is nigh;
An' in the stillness o' the night t' see Death's angel come,
An' close the eyes o' her that smiled, an' leave her sweet voice dumb.
Fer these are scenes that grip the heart, an'when yer tears are dried,
Ye find the home is dearer than it was, an' sanctified;
An' tuggin' at ye always are the pleasant memories
O' her that was an' is no more—ye can't escape from these.

Ye've got t' sing an' dance fer years, ye've got t' romp an' play,
An' learn t' love the things ye have by usin' 'em each day;
Even the roses 'round the porch must blossom year by year
Afore they 'come a part o' ye, suggestin' someone dear
Who used t' love 'em long ago, an' trained 'em jes t' run
The way they do, so's they would get the early mornin' sun;
Ye've got t' love each brick an' stone from cellar up t' dome:
It takes a heap o' livin' in a house t' make it home.

13 comments:

AMiller said...

Wonderful grandmothers are one of God's gifts to us. That sounds cheesy, but my grandmother passed away a few years ago and I still feel inspiration and comfort from her all the time. I'm glad you had such a wonderful lady in your life, too.

NatRat said...

Sorry for your lost Laur. It sounds like you had a great relationship and you will miss her, but then you probably have some amazing memories of her too.

Katie said...

I'm so sorry Laurie. It seems like it shouldn't be so hard to loose a grandma. Logically you would think that we would be prepared to loose them. But, it is hard. And it seems like no matter how old they are or how wonderful their life has been, we are never ready to let them go. I'm thinking of you!

Michelle said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Make sure that you write down the memories. I wish I had done that about my grandparents. We are sending our love and prayers to you and your family.

Brittany said...

Laur I am so sorry, I agree with what everyone said it is never easy to let them go no matter how old or sick they might be. Thanks for sharing your feelings and that poem what a wonderful tribute to her. I lost my Grandma 2 years ago and I still miss her everyday and cherish the memories I have. We are thinking of you!

Cameron, Jenny and Family said...

So Sorry about your loss Laurie! I understand all that you're feeling. Grandmothers are wonderful and I'm glad you had the opportunity to have such a great relationship with her.

Cameron, Jenny and Family said...

So Sorry about your loss Laurie! I understand all that you're feeling. Grandmothers are wonderful and I'm glad you had the opportunity to have such a great relationship with her.

Palmer Family said...

So sorry about your Grandma. I know how you feel. It's amazing the affect our Grandma's have on us!

Kelly said...

Sorry about your loss Laur. I'm thinking about you today, and will see you soon. (Friday)

Alison said...

I love you Laur. That poem really sums up Grandma (and Grandpa) 's lives. My hope is that your family, mine and Lacey's will be able to describe us like that some day. Talk to you soon!

Chelsa said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma! It sounds like she was a pretty neat lady and a big influence in your life. Let me know if you need anything. Love ya!

3WimmerBoys said...

Laurie you didn't even tell me about your Grandma! You have had too much going on this week. I am so sorry! On a lighter note, loved the Hawaii pictures. Oh so jealous!

Jon and Emily said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. It's never easy to lose someone we love. Hope you're doing ok.