CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 19, 2009

sad

I've had a hard time over the last couple of months. You know that saying 'be careful what you wish for because you might just get it all'? It's been slowly dawning on me that perhaps I got most of what I set out to get. Growing up, all I ever wanted to do was get married, move to a house with a big yard (maybe we didn't quite get the yard I had in mind) and have lots of babies. I wanted to be able to check the box that said "homemaker" when asked about my employment status. This was the goal all along. I've been darting around town with my hubby, puppy and babies in our minivan in suburbia thinking I'd already arrived.
Last fall my gynecologist called and informed that I had pre-cancerous cervical cells. After a few months of tests and waiting and more tests and more waiting I had a hysterectomy last Monday. I had no idea just how hard this whole thing was going to be.
Then a letter arrived from the elementary school informing me of the registration information I need to prepare so the boys could start Kindergarten in the fall. I obviously have known for years now when they would begin school but it just hit me in the gut that my baby boys will ride the bus and be gone half the day. Cameron will be gone the entire day and the boys will be gone 4 hours a day. Normally there would be some sort of celebration with caffeine involved but I'm still feeling sad.
My days of having crazy toddlers to entertain are going too fast now. I want time to stop and just stay here because I never planned beyond this part. Even though we've been through our struggles, I truly believe that I've gotten everything and I'm so grateful. But now I need a new wish, dream, goal or inspiration. What should I do now?

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Come play with me!!! Cohen will be in school MWF next year and I'll just have Logan.

There's always scrapbooking to catch up on too. :)

Please call me if there's anything you need. I'm sorry you had to go through this, try to focus on the positive. Love ya!

AMiller said...

Laurie - Oh my goodness. I haven't been a very good friend - a hysterectomy? That sucks the big one. I watched my cousin after having one at a young age and it did not look like any kind of fun. Let me take care of your kids for awhile.
And the whole goals thing - I hear ya. You are so smart and fun and creative, you will find a lot to do. But I hear you on the whole motherhood thing - my defining trait is that I am a mother and I don't know what I would do if I wasn't. My day is centered around my kids and husband. The few hours I steal for myself are a refuge, but I don't want them to be my whole life. Does that make sense? Okay - I am rambling now. Take care of yourself and don't hesitate to call me.

Palmer Family said...

Laurie, you are so brave. I admire you and I know that you will be so great at whatever you decide to do. Thanks for reminding me that these crazy toddler years go by way too fast. I need to appreciate them more than I do. Love you!

Jessarella said...

Oh Laurie, I am so sorry. I can't imagine how you must feel. You are too young for this. My girlfriend had a hysterectomy at age 21, and adopted the most beautiful little girl last year the same month my twins were born.
You have 3 perfect children, and are so blessed. There are always things to do with your time. You will figure it out and be great.
Love you, Jess

♥Stef said...

Oh Laurie I am so sorry for your pain, and sadness. This must have been so stressful for you. You did the right thing. You being on this earth long enough to see your babies having babies is what you need to focus on. Thanks for sharing this with us so that we will remember you in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie, I am sorry for what you have been through. Your kids are beautiful. Thanks for the reminder about time with kids I needed that today especially :) As for what you should do my vote would be writing books. I love to read your blog because of your clever way of saying things. It cracks me up. Thinking about you.

The Christensen Family said...

Laurie -- I had no idea that you were going through so much. I am sorry I haven't been a better friend. Who knew that moving to Alpine for a few months would feel like I moved to China? So out of touch...I think the world of you. Let me know if I can do anything for you. Take care. Loves -- Steph

NatRat said...

Laurie I am sorry you have been so sad and the whole hysterctomy...so sad, I had no idea. I am sure we can think of fun things to do...run another marathon, write a book like Tiff said, you would rock that! Cheer up!

Jewels said...

Hey Laur, I think you deserve to be sad for a little while. I also think that once your kids go to school you'll be sad for about a week and then you'll get into a new routine and realize that its quite nice to have them at school. :)

Maughan"sters" said...

Hey Laurie,
Let me watch your kids while you recover.
Some of your old neighbors just bought the house next to me.
By the way...the furniture is just a dream...not moneybags.

Kelie said...

You have been through so much! I am sorry things have been so crazy for you! I hope you find something so rewarding that you love to do...and I know whatever it is that you will be awesome at it! miss you!

Chelsa said...

Laurie,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been going through all of this and I had no idea! I hope you feel better soon. I'm jealous all of your kids will be in school next year. I'll get a babysitter and we can do lunch again just the girls. Please call me if there is anything you need... even just to chat. I'm ALWAYS home (literally). I don't dare go anywhere with all three of them yet. I have no idea how you handled TWINS. Love ya!

3WimmerBoys said...

I told you this has been my fear all along, what will I do when they up and leave me. You can come hang out with me in San Diego , I still have plenty of crazy around here. Then you'll remember why you longed for the days of the kids in school all day and you'll head back home to your sanity.

Em said...

start training for that triathalon laur!!! i'll be cheering you on! love love!