CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 28, 2008

I'm gonna miss this

For the record, I have no musical talent whatsoever. I took 5 years of piano lessons and can still only play 'Turkey in the Straw'. I do enjoy singing hymns at church, but feel sorry for anyone sitting close enough to hear me. All that being said, nothing speaks more clearly to me than music. I love it. I love having my iPod playing all through my house all day. I love the way a song can set a mood. I like Beastie Boys when I'm running, Go-Go's when I'm cleaning, instrumental hymns on Sunday mornings, Jimmy Buffett when I'm praying for summer to come....etc.
Recently I came upon a song that is changing my life! Natalie turned me on to it and I listen to it at least once a day to try to remember what's important when I'd really like to give my boys each a swirly in the toilet and ship them off to potty boarding school. You know those days when you just want to jump in the car and drive away and not look back, but something called 'being a mom' holds you there? Listen to this song. Here's a little bit of the chorus:

Baby, just slow down
You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
Take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this.
As crazy as times get at our house, I'm trying to enjoy the madness. I'm positively terrified of teenagers (I'd like to thank my own brothers for that) and I want to keep perspective.

15 comments:

Suzanne said...

All the moms I saw this morning at preschool were talking about THIS song. Seems it really hit home for most of us, huh. I feel the same way as you -- even though I'm in a kind of living hell right now, I love every second and don't want to move to the next phase. Jack turns five next week, which is such a big kid age to me.

Kelly said...

Thanks for the reminder. There's at least one point in EVERY day that I say to myself. "I'm done being a mom" Thankfully there are more good times than bad, I'm scared for teenagers too!

Palmer Family said...

Wierd. I was just thinking about this the other day. Some days just go by so SLOW! I find myself wishing time would go faster. Thanks for the reminder!

NatRat said...

I don't know how many times I have heard this song, and each time I get choked up. I probably am just reuttering to myself what a loser of a mom I am. I told Collin last night that I was on a time out until Sunday! I am done doing everything. I think that timeout lasted 10 minutes....Then just go and listen to this song and it puts your mind in focus.

Anonymous said...

Laurie, That song isn't about you - It's about me,grandma

Joy said...

Oh man, thanks a lot! I'm bawling my head off. You have no idea how fast these years fly by. I promise potty training will be just a distant memory really soon. It was yesterday that you looked and acted just like little Cameron. Life is like a big time warp! Fabulous song!

Tierney said...

I play the piano and have never heard of "Turkey in the Straw". Looks like I need to download a new song to my iPod. Although, from reading other people's posts...I better have Kleenex handy.

Maughan"sters" said...

I'm so mad that Trace didn't win Celebrity Apprentice...he sang this song; did you see it?

Kelie said...

so true! and thanks for putting it all in perspective for me! i seriously can't even think about my girls as teenagers, just the thought brings tears to my eyes and a knot in my stomach!!!

The Christensen Family said...

Love this song too... Nice reality check and reminder that it does go by WAY too fast! Trying to slow down and enjoy it. (And NOT murder my toddler.) Love peeking in on you. You are beautiful and the cutest mom ever. Loves..

Brittany said...

It is such a slap in the face when that song comes on and you have just got done saying " I want to run away". Thanks for a great reminder and it is a beautiful song and great reminder.

Cecilia said...

Thanks for the reminder!!! I love this song and I think I'll have to listen to it everyday to remind me to slow down!

Jon and Emily said...

Am I the only woman in the world that doesn't know what song you're talking about? I have a teething baby who is driving me crazy...I think I just might need an uplifting song or I'm selling him to the gypsies!!! Title please?

The Richards said...

I love that song. Seriously it makes me cry everytime I hear it, even when Caitlyn is screaming in the back seat. It just helps you to stay focused on the important things in life!!

Tawnya said...

Oh yes I totally love that song! I remind Rod OFTEN of the words on that song...usually when we're having a chorus of screaming kids in the car and he's about ready to pull over and kick them all out! hahaha