CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 12, 2007

I am woman


I am woman. Hear me roar! Just call me Ms. Fixit. I fixed a very doomed toilet on Tuesday. (I'm beginning to wonder if we just have questionable plumbing.) And last night out air conditioning went out. It was 85 degrees on the main floor and I'm sure it was about 95 upstairs. Needless to say it was a MISERABLE night! So this morning I called about 12 repair places and I couldn't get anyone to come sooner than Monday.
So I decided to fix it myself. I took apart the furnace, cleaned out the fan and put it all back together. The pipes weren't frozen but there wasn't any cold air coming out. Brad, our super-nice neighbor, called and walked me through a checklist of things that could be wrong. Anyway, after flipping breakers and checking vents, the cold air is, once again, pumping back through our house.
At times like this, I used to curse Eric for being gone. There was one incident with the lawn mower when I had a complete temper tantrum in front of my terrified in-laws. I have since moved on to just figure it out. I now think of myself as incredibly capable. I think it's the example of my own mom that has shown me that men are no more mechanically inclined than women. She can figure out just about anything. Including a 27 station sprinkling system. Mine has 6 and I'm still figuring it out. But there are few things in life that can give me the satisfaction of knowing that I am able to take care of myself, my kids and my house. Don't get me wrong, I still have to call my dad for help with bigger things, but I do try to learn when he comes to help.
I am so proud of myself that I can't wait for Eric to call so that I can brag about my fix-it fun!

1 comments:

Alison said...

Way to go Laur!! I miss you tons! And I'm glad you let me onto the Maverick for good sandwiches....it really is sad that we don't have more places like that at home!