Let me preface this post by saying that I am completely ignorant when it comes to politics. When election coverage comes on the news my eyes glaze over and my mind wanders to the important questions like, does Hillary's hair ever move or does it stay like that even when she sleeps? Do you think she sleeps? Or, wow, Obama is really skinny - his suit is hanging on for dear life. You get the picture.
I have had a slightly heightened awareness with Mitt Romney running simply because he is, of course a Mormon and he's friends with my father in-law. However, I can't help being relieved that Mitt won't be president. America has a way of turning on the president no matter how much they liked him in the beginning. Our Mormon faith would always be under attack instead of respected.
It has been joked about that this election is like a punchline for a joke - 'there was a black man, a Mormon and a woman running for president...' This is about as far as my knowledge of politics goes. But I am proud of us Americans. Think how far we've come in the last 100 years that people who had almost no voting rights are now running for president! It really is amazing to me.
Again, claiming ignorance, (my uncle Mike is probably seething about my lack of knowlegde) I can't imagine anyone wanting to be the president. In my limited view it doesn't seem to matter who sits in the oval office because our government is set up so that all voices are heard. We even seem to shift as a nation from democratic to republican presidents fixing what the previous president did - there seems to be a balance there. The president is just the fall guy. I like Obama. I like his books. I like him so well that I almost want Hillary to win so that we can all go on liking Obama.
My blogging about politics is like the blind leading the less blind - but I had to put in my two cents.
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Bad American
Posted by Laurie at Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Lars! I think your bro.-in-law, Seldon, is going to cringe even more than Uncle Mike. Oh, and my husband too. I thought Ken was going to have a coronary last night.
By the way, how are you liking The Historian? I finished it a couple weeks ago myself.
Alicia
I just read your previous post. Not so much, huh?
Alicia
Now I'm curious...did you vote? And for who?
If you're still bored out of your mind, lets do something next week:) Then at least we can be bored together.
Post a Comment