The fabulously romantic affair that I've been carrying on for the last 16 months has been fizzling out over the last few weeks and came to an abrupt end today. It was love at first sight back in July 2006, when my dad gave me an iPod Nano for my birthday. Nano was my best buddy. A few weeks ago, I was seven miles into a sixteen mile run when his little battery just couldn't go on. I need music to run! I was angry, sad and mostly, depressed. I tried resuscitation for a couple of weeks and decided to get a new battery for him today. Off to the Apple store I went.
I felt like a cheating girlfriend when I started to eye the new Nanos at the Apple store. The new ones have 8GB and can play video! And they come in cool colors! "Oh Nano, my man, I'm so sorry... You've been replaced by a newer, slimmer, greener little guy. Farewell my friend."
I got over the initial sadness at the loss of my old-time running buddy in a hurry. My cheeks hurt from smiling. I've been grinning like an idiot all the way home! With my new iPod, I can download movies and tv shows and play them on my tv!!! (Just try and tell me that wouldn't make you grin like an idiot!) I'm in the process of downloading season 1 of Friday Night Lights so that I can start watching tonight.
**********
Yesterday I had a conversation that I would be willing to bet none of you have ever had. My neighbor, Julie, called me.
Julie: "Does your cleaning lady have blond hair?"
Me: "Yes."
Julie: "What's her name?"
Me: "Valerie. Why? Do you know her?"
Julie: "She's on Oprah right now."
Yes, that would be my cleaning lady on Oprah yesterday talking about her plural marriage. (I learned that 'plural marriage' is the politically correct term for polygamists.) She made several good points about it being an alternative lifestyle. I also learned that she's not a Warren Jeffs follower (I've been curious, but never dared to ask). I'm interested to hear if ya'll saw it - what did you think? And if you have it Tivo'd, go watch it! Tell me what you think.
Saturday, October 27, 2007
My new lean, green machine
Posted by Laurie at Saturday, October 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Wow oh wow! I did see it, thought that couple (are they still a couple when there's more than two?) did have it together and seemed happy with things the way they are. As much as I joke about having a sister wife, I don't think it's for us. I did get that book the other woman wrote, haven't started it yet.
Suzanne - I want to get that book! Sounds so interesting. I don't know how they do it with all the wives. I have loads of very close girlfriends who I would share just about anything with...but NEVER my husband. It's just creepy to think about.
Laur - I watched and I don't agree with the lifestyle either, but I found it interesting how they tried justifying all the things that have been implemented into their lives - it creeps me out too! I guess to each their own!
I can't believe she is your cleaning lady!! That is crazy! I watched it and was so intrigued. I never knew polygs like that existed.
Totally saw that episode and was thinking about the story you told about your cleaning lady, who knew it was her after all. Crazy! you will have to let me know about that book.
Wandered over here from my friend, Laurie (Create Your Own Experience).
This is so interesting. My girlfriend told me about that Oprah the other day and how cute the ladies were.
AND, I actually dressed as a polyg (NOT the cute ones) for Halloween and one of my blog readers commented that growing up, she had a cleaning lady that was polyg.
WELL, last night at Trunk or Treat, one of my girlfriends was telling me that her sister's cleaning lady is a polyg and looks just like us.
I'm wondering if they are the same chick. :-)
Anyway, I just had to comment having heard so much of this same topic this very week. Too weird!!!
Post a Comment