I had to take Adam in to see his orthopedic surgeon today for his annual check-up. It's amazing to me that still, every time I walk into Primary Children's Hospital, it brings back a flood of raw emotions. I'm like one of Pavlov's dogs only instead of salivating, my blood pressure creeps up a few notches and I'm near tears.
We've come such a long way from where we were two summers ago. Adam was born with what genetics specialists call mid-line malformadies. He had a cleft lip and some spinal abnormalities. He had his first surgery when he was three months old (finally 10 pounds) to fix his lip and two hernias. By the time he was a year old, he couldn't sit or stand or support his weight in any way so his pediatrician decided that it was time to start investigating. We took him to geneticists, a neurologist, an endocrinologist, an orthopedic surgeon and let's not forget the two surgeons who had already operated on him. All of these doctors were incredibly thorough, which I am grateful for. But this also meant tests and tests and more tests. And because Luke and Adam are identical twins - Luke had to do several of the tests too.
Luke checked out fine on everything. Adam had a few concerning things with his growth hormones, his congenital scoliosis and an MRI found that he had sustained brain damage from lack of oxygen to the brain before he was even born. I'm not sure words can describe how devastating all of this was for me. The doctors weren't sure if he'd ever progress from where his development had stalled at about the mentality of a 4 month old baby. It all just felt like too much! I was trying my best to take care of Adam, but there was a two year old Cameron and Luke to take care of too!
***And I totally forgot to mention that both Luke and Adam had Torticollis (a development problem with the neck) which led to Plageocephaly (flat heads) and they both had to wear those awesome helmets for a few months each. I just couldn't leave that out because we were constantly driving back and forth to physical therapy and the helmet maker place for fittings. And let's not forget how hideously ugly those things are. (Yea, Missy, I haven't forgotten.) And all the fighting with the insurance company to pay for these things...and all the bills...
I promise that I'm coming to a point here - not just throwing a pity party.
Needless to say I was maxed out emotionally. I was completely wrapped up in myself and my kids and felt overwhelmed beyond belief. Then one day in December 2005 I was taking Adam back to Primary Children's Hospital for another appointment when I noticed something peculiar. As I was walking down the hall I started noticing other kids in the hospital. They were all over the place, laying in wagons with a tower of tubes and IVs hanging all over them. Lots of kids had bald little heads from their chemo treatments and they were so frail. And here's the amazing part....there were moms there with them and they looked even more tired than I felt. It sounds ridiculous, I know, that I had never really noticed the other patients and moms before. Suddenly flat heads didn't feel like the earth-shattering catastrophe that I'd made it out to be. These moms were hoping their little ones would make it to their next birthday and here I was hoping my son didn't have to wear a dorky helmet.
Now when I go to the hospital I take every opportunity I can to smile at the other moms and especially the kids. It will always be humbling to me to go there. Like I was telling Cameron the other day about running a race, "there will always be someone faster than you and there will always be someone slower, just keep going."
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
A little family history
Posted by Laurie at Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Stumbled upon your blog, and loved this story-just what I needed to put life in perspective!
Larry, thanks so much for reminding me how many blessings I have! You are amazing.
So humbling. Thanks, Laurie, for reminding me... ;)
Wow! I had no idea that was all going on. What a great friend I am. Sorry for not being there for you. But you are an amazing mother, and if anyone could get through it you could.
I remember the helmets. You are a good mom laurie.
When I took Norah to Primary Children's, I noticed all the bald, lethargic children in wheel chairs and felt so grateful for my healthy children.
Great tender post Laurie. I am glad you are my friend.
Hi Laurie,
It's Amber Kindred...I found your blog through Martha Griffiths blog! I definitely have had my eyes opened in the last year and a half! I have so much to be thankful for! Reading this post made me wish I could have been there to help you a few years ago...with all those running back and forth appts. Wishing Adam the best! Your kids are so dang cute! And YOU are amazing!!!
Wow! I had no idea. I would have never guessed that they had had any problems. Jace had hernia surgery when he was 3 weeks old (don't ask me why they didn't wait til he was 10 lbs., everyone I've told is shocked they did it that early) and the whole recovery thing with his blood pressure shooting up and then the meds making his oxygen go dangerously low, plus the whole waiting and worrying through surgery, etc. for a measly 4 hours was hard for me so I can't even imagine what you've been through! I'm always amazed and humbled by these stories. There's nothing harder than having something wrong with your kids and wishing you could fix it for them and knowing you can't.
Thank you for the uplifting post! you are amazing, before I met you I knew there was something special about you...and I knew you were someone I would want as a friend. I am truly grateful that I had the opportunity to get to know you and see first hand just how amazing you really are!
I think what I love most about your blog is your honesty. you lay it all out there, and without realizing it, you are inspiring everyone who reads it.(including me)
You really are a wonderful mother, and your children are beautiful.
I've worked at Primarys for 10 years, and its been hard to see people going through some of the hardest times of their lives. Its hard not to cry with parents sometimes. But then I see the joy of recovery, and healing that takes place here too. We are lucky to have a hospital here with so many amazing people.
you've got a wonderful attitude. Thank you for sharing.
You guys are all too nice. I'm not in any way amazing or inspiring, if anything I'm incredibly self-centered. I just realized at the hospital yesterday, that I've never written down all of my experiences that we went through with Adam. It was too painful at the time, but looking back, these were the experiences that have profoundly changed me. More than anything, I just wanted this to be a part of our family journal.
Laur-
isn't it amazing that these little gifts from heaven are here to teach us more about ourselves and make us stronger than for their own good?
You are an amazing person and an even better Mom!
I remember hearing your story a while back and being amazed. Watching the twins now, you would never know all the trauma they went through. Recently we spent quite a bit of time in Primary's with Lee's niece. There aren't very many things you can deem wonderful/horrible place all in same breath, but Primary's is one of them. Thank you for reminding us all we have to be greatful for!
Miss Laurie - I love you more with every post... I hope that you don't consider yourself self centered! Because the Laurie I know is ALWAYS thinking of others. You are a wonderful mommy and a great example to all of us. I am in tears and feel so grateful for the tiny things in my own life that I have deemed as "drama." It is nothing compared to others... Thanks hon! Steph
Post a Comment